When you have a dental problem, do you cringe at the thought of visiting your dentist? Do you perceive your dentist as someone who only inflicts pain? Well, you are not alone! Most people try their best to avoid going to their dentist, until they are in excruciating pain, and have no other option. This usually happens after they have exhausted all other avenues i.e. home remedies – that don’t always work. So, if you want to spare yourself any further suffering, you need to understand why you need to avoid home remedies. And why you need to visit your dentist at the earliest.
It is understandable that the last thing you want to do is wait to see a dental health professional, when your toothache flares up in the middle of the night, or while at work. Or at any other time! So, you resort to any and all home remedies that you have been told about by family and friends – anything to avoid going to your dentist. But do consider the repercussions…
- Delay in treatment: Every time you try out a home remedy, you are putting off getting a treatment that may be crucial to your dental health. When various home remedies don’t work, you inevitably have to land up at your dentist’s clinic. By then, you will have suffered unnecessarily, and will have created new complications for your dentist to sort out, losing more time and incurring more expense.
- Need for medication: Home remedies may offer some temporary relief in terms of suppression of pain, but they cannot possibly get rid of infection. Severe infection in your gums can only be treated by antibiotics, which only your dentist can prescribe. If the infection is not eliminated, it can spread through your gums and may even affect your jaws, leading to severe pain, fever and lock jaw.
- Essential dental intervention: There are certain issues that can only be addressed when you are in the dentist’s chair. No amount of home remedies can compensate for the need to get a filling, or extractions, or braces, or dentures. Your dentist is the only person qualified to deal with these issues.
- Critical surgical intervention: Home remedies cannot help you if you have an impacted wisdom tooth, or have receding gums. Issues such as these require surgery if you want to avoid suffering. And obviously, only a dental surgeon can handle these problems.
- Long term implications: By using home remedies to avoid your dentist, you may be endangering your health in the long run. Dental issues can often lead to other health problems, such as digestion-related issues, which may not seem related, but can prolong your suffering.
So, do consider all the reasons to avoid home remedies. And feel free to consult us to solve your dental problems and ensure your dental health.